Within the last few months we’ve received a lot of inquiries concerning the synchronization feature in TeamLab Calendar – the majority of TeamLab users have been looking forward to it, and finally a week ago this option was added to the SaaS version! In today’s post I’ll describe how you can use it.
Thanks to the synchronization feature you can:
- export your TeamLab calendar into some other calendar you use,
- import some other calendar into TeamLab Calendar,
- add the iCal feed link of a third-party calendar to TeamLab Calendar (i.e. view a read-only version of a third-party calendar within TeamLab Calendar).
Exporting TeamLab Calendar
1. Direct your mouse cursor to the calendar you want to export. Directly after that the icon will appear. Click it to open the ‘Edit Calendar’ window.
2. In the ‘Import/Export’ section, click the ‘Export events from TeamLab Calendar’ link.
3. In the next pop-up window, you will see the link leading to a .ics file that contains all data about the events from your calendar. After clicking it, you can save this file onto the hard disk drive of your computer.
Note: you can integrate TeamLab Calendar into any other calendar that supports the iCal format. iCal represents a common file format which allows Internet users to share meeting requests and tasks (stored in files with the .ics extension) with other users.
4. Export the file created in the previous step into the calendar you need.
After you proceeded through steps 1-4 listed above, follow the next ones:
For Google Calendar
5. Enter your Google Calendar.
6. Open the drop-down list next to the ‘Other Calendars’ section.
7. Select the ‘Import Calendar’ option.
8. Click the ‘Choose File’ button and find the file that contains your events, then click the ‘Open’ button.
9. Select one of the calendars within Google Calendar where you’d like to import events, then click the ‘Import’ button.
For Apple iCal Calendar
5. In Apple iCal, choose ‘File’ > ‘Import’.
6. Locate the calendar (.ics file) you want to import.
7. Select the calendar you want to add the events to.
You can also drag a .ics file from your desktop to Apple iCal.
For Yahoo! Calendar
5. Enter your Yahoo! Calendar.
6. Open the drop-down list next to the needed calendar and select the ‘Import’ option.
7. In the appeared window, select the necessary ICS file from your computer and the calendar you want to import events to.
8. Click ‘Save’.
The events from the selected TeamLab calendar will be migrated into Google, Apple iCal, or Yahoo! Calendar.
Importing a Calendar into TeamLab Calendar
For Google Calendar
1. Enter your Google Calendar.
2. Find the needed calendar in the ‘My Calendars’ section, open the drop-down list next to it and select the ‘Calendar Settings’ option.
3. In the ‘Private Address’ section, click the icon and follow the link displayed.
Note: if your calendar is publicly shared, you'll need to click the 'iCal' icon within the 'Calendar Address' section.
4. Save the exported file to the desired folder on your computer.
Note: to export content from all calendars in your 'My calendars' list, click here.
For Apple iCal Calendar
1. In Apple iCal, select the calendar from the list of calendars in the iCal window.
2. Select ‘File’ > ‘Export’.
3. Name the calendar, then save it.
For Yahoo! Calendar
1. Enter your Yahoo! Calendar.
2. Open the drop-down list next to the needed calendar and select the ‘Export’ option.
3. Click the ‘Save’ button in the appeared window and save the .ics file onto your computer HDD.
After you proceeded through the steps listed above for one of the calendars, follow the next ones:
1. Direct your mouse cursor to a calendar within the ‘My Calendars’ section. Directly after that the icon will appear. Click it to open the ‘Edit Calendar’ window.
Note: you can import events from third-party calendars into calendars from the 'My Calendars' section only.
2. In the ‘Import/Export’ section, click the ‘Import events from Google calendar’ link.
3. Select the exported file stored on your computer HDD and click ‘Open’.
4. Press the ‘Save’ button.
The events from the necessary calendar will be imported into TeamLab Calendar.
Adding an iCal Feed Link to TeamLab Calendar
As you surely know, there is a difference between the import/export option and adding iCal feed link. After exporting or importing events from calendars, you can edit them as you need and the changes will be applied to the exported/imported events only (not to the original events), while after adding a feed link into a calendar, you will be able to view the events only – to edit an event, you will need to make changes in the original calendar, and they will become visible in TeamLab Calendar.
To add a third-party calendar feed link to TeamLab Calendar, enter it on your portal, click the ‘Add’ link and select the ‘New iCal feed’ option. In the opened window, enter the iCal feed link into the appropriate field and click ‘Save’.
You can get the iCal feed link of the needed calendar in the following way:
- Google Calendar – click the icon in the ‘Private Address’ section of calendar settings (if your calendar is publicly shared, you’ll need to click the same icon within the ‘Calendar Address’ section) and copy the link displayed.
- Yahoo! Calendar – open the drop-down list next to the needed calendar, select ‘Edit Calendar’, switch to the ‘iCalendar and Web Address’ tab and copy the link displayed.
- Apple iCal Calendar – choose ‘Publish’ from the ‘Calendar’ menu. In the resulting dialog, type a name for your calendar in the top field, choose to publish it on your own server from the “Publish on” pop-up menu, select any of the other options you want, and then click ‘Publish’. When iCal finishes publishing, a dialog opens and displays the URL for your calendar.
That’s all for this topic. Now you know how to import/export events from third-party calendars and add their read-only versions into TeamLab Calendar.
If you still have questions and need assistance, please visit our Help Center or write a message to our Support Team. In case you have a great idea concerning TeamLab improvement or just want to express your opinion, you can leave your feedback that will surely be checked out and taken into consideration.