You can dictate your text right to the document without typing it manually. This can be easily done with the built-in speech recognition tool on Windows 10. You can also use the embedded digital assistant Cortana to launch the text editor by means of the voice command.
- Windows 10 or later
- Microphone connected to your PC
- ONLYOFFICE Desktop Editors installed on your PC
Adjusting Windows settings
- Go to Start -> Settings -> Privacy.
- Open the Voice activation section.
- Turn on the Allow apps to use voice activation switcher.
- Turn on the Let Cortana respond to ‘Cortana’ keyword switcher.
- In the Privacy settings, open the Speech section.
- Turn on the Online speech recognition switcher.
Dictating your text to the document
- Launch Cortana: Start -> All apps -> Cortana. You can also launch it by clicking the Cortana icon on the taskbar to the right of the search bar, or pressing Win+C, or saying ‘Cortana’.
- If you launch Cortana for the first time, sign in to Cortana using your Microsoft account.
- Depending on your settings, click the microphone icon or just say ‘Cortana’.
- Say ‘Open ONLYOFFICE Editors’. After that, the main window of ONLYOFFICE Desktop Editors will open.
- Create a new document by clicking ‘Document’.
- Press Win+H. The speech recognition window will appear at the top of the screen.
- Start dictation in the microphone. Your words will be automatically typed in to the document.
There are some tips which can be helpful when dictating:
- You can say ‘period’ for ‘.’, ‘comma’ for ‘,’ ‘question mark’ for ‘?’, ‘exclamation mark’ for ‘!’.
- Say ‘new line’ to start a new paragraph.
- If you pause for some time or click with the mouse, speech recognition will pause too. Click the microphone icon on the left to continue dictating.
- When done, say ‘Stop dictating’ or close the speech recognition window.
The full list of Speech Recognition commands can be found here.
When you finish dictation, do not forget to save the document with your text.
Note: You can additionally format your text using multiple formatting tools available in ONLYOFFICE Document Editor.