ONLYOFFICE editors 5.5.3 released with Zotero and Mendeley plugins

25 May 2020 By Michael 13 1,449 views

Hello everyone!

We have released a new version of ONLYOFFICE editors. It includes lots of bug fixes, security and performance improvements, and, most importantly, Zotero and Mendeley plugins that are pre-installed in all solutions. Read to learn more.

Zotero and Mendeley

Zotero and Mendeley services allow building perfect bibliographies in your documents. Using the convenient interface, you can search any desired source and insert a reference with one of over 7,000 available citation styles.

Mendeley plugin

Zotero plugin

Before you can use Zotero or Mendeley in ONLYOFFICE, you need to create an account in the service of your choice and connect it to the plugin using the instructions in the interface.

To insert a bibliography in your document:

• Open the plugin menu.
  • Search the desired source by author, title or year.
  • Select the citation style in the drop-down list or type to search for it.
  • Choose the language.
  • Click Insert Bibliography.
Other improvements in version 5.5.3

Apart from the new plugins, the new version brings:

1. skeleton loader in the embedded documents;
  2. ability to add multiple rows/columns to the tables in document editor;
  3. multiple performance improvements and bug fixes.

Read the full changelog on GitHub.

Have any questions? Leave your comments below or tweet us at @only_office.

1. Gerhard Bissels - Reply
    May 27, 2020 at 12:51 pm

Hi, I’ve been desperately waiting for a (non-Google, non-Microsoft) office package that allows collaborative working, and has a Zotero plugin. I understand OnlyOffice now integrates Zotero – but where can I download the version 5.5.3? On your website there’s only 5.5.1.
    Thanks, and kind regards
    Gerhard

• Ksenija - Reply
      May 28, 2020 at 11:20 am

Hello Gerhard! You can download it here: http://www.onlyoffice.com/download.aspx – simply find the Document Server package (online editors) v.5.5.3
      You can also start a 180-day free trial of the full cloud office at http://www.onlyoffice.com/registration.aspx.

• Gerhard Bissels - Reply
        May 28, 2020 at 12:47 pm

Thanks, Ksenija! I’ve forwarded that link already to our cloud service provider. There is no desktop version yet? Best, Gerhard

• Ksenija - Reply
          May 28, 2020 at 12:56 pm

Glad to help you, Gerhard! As for the desktop editors suite – it will be updated later.

• Gerhard Bissels - Reply
            June 5, 2020 at 3:23 pm

As part of a (virtual) summer school for teaching faculty, I’d like to demonstrate collaborative working on essays etc. with OnlyOffice and Zotero. But I’d need to be sure the desktop version with the Zotero plug-in will be available in time for that session. Do you have a planned release date for the desktop version of 5.5.3? Best, Gerhard

• Michael - Reply
              June 8, 2020 at 3:54 pm

Hello Gerhard!

It is indeed planned in one of the next releases, but I can’t tell anything about the dates right now. When are you planning to start this course?

• Gerhard Bissels - Reply
                June 10, 2020 at 5:52 pm

Hello Michael, our university is planning a summer school for teaching staff, focused on virtualisation of teaching and research, in week 35 (Aug 24-26). One thing that is really missing, is a platform for collaboratively writing research papers, i.e. word processor with plug-in for reference management – ideally, Zotero (much better for collaborative use than Endnote). Therefore, I’d like to offer a training workshop on that. But I’d have to be certain that I’ll have a fully functional set-up by then – i.e. OnlyOffice with a plug-in that will allow both in-text citations, and compilation of a bibliography at the end. I’ll have to reserve my workshop slot by Friday, so if you could confirm you’ll have that software ready by, say, Aug 18, then I’ll go ahead. Best, Gerhard

• Michael - Reply
                  June 15, 2020 at 12:01 pm

Hello!

Thank you for the detailed information. I checked in with the developer team and I can say that there’s no timeline yet, so it is hard to plan anything based on this for now. I described your situation and we will try to elaborate on this ASAP. I will give you an update within a month.

Your idea seems like a great case for the plugin in Desktop Editors, and I hope that it will be possible for you to bring it to life in the near future.

• Gerhard Bissels - Reply
                    June 15, 2020 at 1:42 pm

Dear Michael, thanks for your efforts! Just to add – I have now been informed this will be a summer school for a number of universities of applied sciences, teacher training colleges, etc. I’d also be happy to derive some training material for Switch, the central IT infrastructure provider for Higher Education in Switzerland. This is an opportunity to attract academics (and their students) away from MS Office, OneDrive, Citavi and the like, to a safe and secure OSS alternative, so I’ll do my bit! Best, Gerhard

2. Ludwig Gredmaier - Reply
    August 24, 2020 at 11:24 am

Hello Michael and Ksenija
    I am using Mendeley in Onlyoffice and I am able to generate a complete bibliography within an Onlyoffice Word document. But I am not (!) able to create a single reference behind a statement such as

“…..as shown by Jones and Willis 2019”

A screenshot of what I am trying to do is here: https://syncandshare.lrz.de/getlink/fiJJRMZ89Nh21BUDC7eMWWFS/problem_with_Mendeley.png
    Am I missing something or is the functionality of the Mendeley plugin still limited?
    Ludwig
    Technical University of Munich

• Michael - Reply
      August 28, 2020 at 5:45 pm

Hi Ludwig,

Thanks for your question. This feature is not supported yet, you are correct. It’s within our priorities in bibliography plugin advancements to add this and sever other core features in the future. Please stay tuned.

3. Adam S. - Reply
    October 22, 2020 at 12:22 am

I am so excited for this feature! Apart from cloud services, will this feature be released sometime in the future for the offline desktop editors?

• Nadya - Reply
      October 28, 2020 at 4:18 pm

Hello Adam! We are planning to add Zotero to the desktop version, but no exact time frames at the moment.

(having some difficulties with multi-page search, but hoping to solve this puzzle)