Creating and Managing TeamLab Documents Collaboratively

Click to zoom in

• Want to share and work collaboratively with documents?
  • Need to edit spreadsheets, presentations or drawings shared with you online?
  • Want to be notified as soon as you get access rights to a file, if the file shared with you has been updated or deleted?
  • …and all that maintaining version history and being able to restore one of the previous versions of a file?

You probably won’t believe it, but all these operations can be performed within TeamLab Documents right in your personal cloud office. It’s true!

Imagine you have created a document using the ‘New File’ drop-down list and shared it with the colleagues you selected within the ‘Sharing Settings’ window. Your co-workers will be informed about the access rights you granted (i.e. read only or full access) per email or TeamLab Talk depending on the notification type set on the ‘Subscriptions’ page.

In case they got full access to the document, they have the right not only to view but also edit it creating a newer file version in this way. As soon as one of your team mates edited the file you shared and saved the changes he made, the version number will be displayed next to the file name and look like this: Version icon. The version will change after the next editing and saving. All other colleagues will be notified about changes in the document and the New icon mark will be shown next to it for your mates to be aware that this document has already been updated.

To preview your file using TeamLab viewer right on your portal, just click the file name within TeamLab Documents. After opening the file you can click the ‘Edit’ button in the right upper corner to edit it and save the changes you made.

You can also edit documents using TeamLab editor within TeamLab Documents just clicking the Edit icon icon next to a certain file. If this icon looks like this – Being edited icon – it means that the file is being edited by another person at the moment. Directing the mouse cursor to this icon, you can find out the portal user who is currently editing the file.

Click to zoom inIt might happen that you don’t agree with the changes performed by one of your co-workers and you would like to recover one of the previous file versions. To do that, please follow the easy steps below:

1. Open the needed folder containing the file which version you want to restore.

2. Click the version icon next to the corresponding file and you will see the Previous Versions list.

3. Find the file version you want to restore using its creation date, time or author. If you are not sure, you can also preview a certain version directing your mouse cursor to it and clicking the Preview icon icon.

4. Click the Restore link.

After that the selected file version will be restored and the file will get the next version number.

That’s all for this topic. Now you know how to maintain the file version history using the version control feature at your TeamLab portal.

If you still have questions and need assistance, please visit our Help Center or write a message to our Support Team. In case you have a great idea concerning TeamLab improvement or just want to express your opinion, you can leave your feedback that will surely be checked out and taken into consideration.

1. January 30, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Another great feature from Teamlab. We are looking forward for more :)

Thanks a lot

January 31, 2012 at 10:28 am

Lakis, thanks for your kind reaction and encouragement :)

2. Maximilian PJ de Courten - Reply
    February 1, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Just for clarification Elena: a document I created when being in the project tab under ‘documents’ I could not share with others; but when I created one in the upmost tab ‘Documents’ (the one which stands on the same initial level as Projects, CRM etc) then I can share them…
    But I like the first approach, create within my projects documents we co-edit. Why the difference and two approaches?
    Thanks Max

February 2, 2012 at 9:31 am

Hello Maximilian,
      You are right, at present it’s possible to share the files stored within the Documents module only (i.e. you can’t assign access rights to files within the Documents tab of the Projects module). But we plan to add the sharing option to the Documents section of the Projects module in one of the next releases.

• Paolo - Reply
        October 6, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Searching how to share project documents I found this old post.
        I suppose it isn’t yet possibile to share project docs. When dod you plan to add this important feature ?

Paolo.

3. Darryl - Reply
    February 2, 2012 at 12:35 am

I agree with Maximilian PJ de Courten. My first tendancy is to put documents in with projects, not in the global documents area. Is there any way to share editing rights to a document that is in a project area?

February 2, 2012 at 9:54 am

Hello Darryl,
      Unfortunately it’s impossible to share the files stored within the Documents section of the Projects module in the current version. But you can upload the project-related document you need to share into the Documents module (i.e. global documents area) and assign access rights to it there. I know, this procedure is not very convenient, but it might be used as a temporary solution.

• February 11, 2012 at 3:40 am

I just found an almost convenient workaround for sharing docs with a project group: The project leader creates a folder (best named after the project) inside his personal document store and shares this folder with all project members, granting “Full Access” rights to them. All project members now see this folder in their personal document stores under “Shared With Me”. They can create documents and sub-folders inside this main project folder – and all of these files inherit the access rights from the main project folder without any additional configuration. That means they can all be edited by all project members.

There is only one backdrop: Regular project members cannot delete files. The “delete” function only hides the shared files. So I created a “trash” folder inside each project folder. Project members can move outdated files there, and the project leader can delete them permanently from time to time.

I hope that helps for now…

Cheers, Sebastian

• February 11, 2012 at 3:43 am

…with “personal document store” I meant what Elena calls the “global documents area”…

February 13, 2012 at 10:43 am

Hello Sebastian,
          I think it’s a great solution! Thank you for sharing it with other TeamLab users!

4. February 7, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Hello
    I installed 6.0.29774.src but i cannot edit the documents.
    otherwise works ok.

i only see upload and create folder in documents.. what is wrong?

February 8, 2012 at 9:38 am

Hello Johnny,
      In the current open-source version of TeamLab there are no Documents Viewer and Editor, that’s why you can’t view and edit files within your TeamLab portal installed on your own server.

The only possibility to do it is to download the document you want to edit to your computer, edit it and upload to the portal.

5. Samuel - Reply
    February 13, 2012 at 4:31 am

Thank you Elena for the clarification. Do you have an ETA on the document editing release for the open source version? Also, the mobile version for open source is highly appreciated. thank you!

February 13, 2012 at 11:34 am

Samuel, we currently don’t plan to include Document Editor into the open-source version of TeamLab. The same is true for the mobile version.

6. Kaptan - Reply
    March 6, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Hi,
    I installed Teamlab on a Windows 2008 Server & IIS 7, everything is okey but documents page returns an empty list. I can upload files (can see in the data/files folder) or download from the history link. Also at the bottom of the page there is a progress box titled “2708 operations” and progress value at 0%.
    I’ve check the security right =>c:\teamlab has the full control for NETWORK SERVICE.
    Any help will be appreciated.

March 7, 2012 at 9:25 am

Hello Kaptan,
      Make sure that the following Windows features are enabled: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0, WCF HTTP-Activation, WCF non HTTP-Activation. See the steps below for detailed guide on how to enable them:

1. Go to Windows Control Panel and select Programs and Features.
      2. Select the Turn Windows features on or off option.
      3. Make sure that all the components of the Microsoft .NET Framework 3. 3.5.1 are enabled.
      4. Go to Administrative Tools of the Windows Control Panel and check the handler mappings under the default web site in IIS.

• Wladimir Berroterán - Reply
        May 2, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Hi Elena, i just read your post solution for document problem whit teamlab, but, i still have the problem issue, and still whithou posibilities to work whit documents in mi team company. this make me crazy, i need to fix this, pleasse , another recomendation?

I have been experiencing issues with the “Documents” section of Teamlab. When I load the page, nothing shows in the list, which there should be at least the default documents. I CAN upload documents, but they do not show in the list. I have verified that the documents are being uploaded as they show in C:\TeamLabs\Data\Files\folder_1000 on the server’s directory tree and verified it is indeed the file I uploaded today.

Also, when loading the Documents page, at the bottom of the screen there is a small box that says “2708 Operations” but sits at 0% and does not move.

I am running Windows Server 2008R2 on an Amazon Instance, with IIS 7 – viewing the Teamlab website using IE9 and Firefox. I have tried IE9’s compatibility mode for IE7 and 8 (the “2708 Operations” box does not display on IE7 or IE8, only on IE9 and Firefox.

May 24, 2012 at 9:47 am

Hello Wladimir,
          Sorry for the late reply.
          As for your problem, we need some additional information to be able to help you. Please answer the following questions:
          1. Is WCF enabled?
          2. Is the WebDav module turned off?
          3. What open source version of TeamLab do you use?
          4. Did you compile TeamLab yourself or did you use the installation file?

• Bhaskar - Reply
            June 14, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Hi,

I am struck with same problem..I got reply from your support team to check ananymous access. But even after that problem persists. Please let us know when fixed
            about a minute ago

June 15, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Hello Bhaskar,
              Please answer the same questions I asked Wladimir:
              1. Is WCF enabled?
              2. Is the WebDav module turned off?
              3. What open source version of TeamLab do you use?
              4. Did you compile TeamLab yourself or did you use the installation file?

• Bhaskar - Reply
                June 18, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Yes..I did all the above setting in WIn 2008R2 Server

June 18, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Bhaskar,
                  Please take a screenshot of your Documents module with the empty documents list and let us see it.

• Bhaskar - Reply
                    June 19, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Hi Elena,

I tried to capture the screen along with File Operations popup, but could not do it together.

SO I captured separately. Also please check error that appears when a folder is created.

• Elena -
                      June 19, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Bhaskar,
                      Please try to enable the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0, WCF HTTP-Activation, WCF non HTTP-Activation features once again. See the steps below for detailed guide on how to enable them:
                      1. Go to Windows Control Panel and select Programs and Features.
                      2. Select the Turn Windows features on or off option.
                      3. Enable all the components of the Microsoft .NET Framework 3. 3.5.1.
                      PS: This procedure (incl. screenshots) is described in the Troubleshooting section of our PDF Guide.

7. Bhaskar - Reply
    June 26, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Hi Elena,
    I tried all the above remedies. The problem still exists.

Pl help

Bhaskar

June 27, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Hello Bhaskar,
      Please check your Windows system log file for errors or send it to us.

8. September 4, 2012 at 8:40 pm

I have the same error with document management. No files can be uploaded (well, you can try and it says they are uploaded but they don’t appear in the document list, creating folders fails too) and I always see the ‘2708 Operations’ message with no progress. I have followed and double checked the recommendations that have been repeatedly given for this error (The WCF stuff, etc.) and it has not changed anything.

I am using Windows 2K8 Web server on a VM just for TeamLab and I am getting a good number of errors in the windows error log (system log I think) that indicate some serious problems in the application code I think. I haven’t done anything to customize the install after the initial setup besides the recommendation:
    “You can add the following string within the web.appsettings.config file:
    <add key=”web.host” value=”http://:”/>”

Any other possibilities you can suggest to get the document management working?

9. Hendra - Reply
    January 22, 2013 at 5:59 am

Hello,

I still have same problem with document tab, can upload file but not shows on list everytime i refresh it. I have setting net framework 3.5 on windows features and also set anonymouse and mapping handler on IIS follwing this url http://www.teamlab.com/content/TeamLabinstall.pdf but the problem still exist. Can you help to fix this issue?

January 22, 2013 at 11:08 am

Hello Hendra,
      Please send your .log files from the Logs folder of the installation directory to me or to our support staff at support@teamlab.com.

10. Hendra - Reply
    January 22, 2013 at 11:16 am

Hello Elena,

IAfter tracing many hours finally i have resolved my issue, it’s error on my binding setting on IIS and now all works, btw thank you for your reply, all of you are very friendly people.

Regards,
    Hendra

January 22, 2013 at 11:24 am

Hendra,
      Thank you for your kind words!
      I’m glad that you managed to solve the problem!

11. Hendra - Reply
    February 4, 2013 at 6:18 am

Hello Helena,

I want to ask again if you don’t mind :),
    I have verified that if we upload files from document tabs it’s uploaded to directory /Teamlab_folder/Data/Files/0/Folder_1000/file_folder/v_folder, it’s possible if we directly store file into v_folder without upload from document tabs? I’ve already try it but it’s not working.

February 4, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Hello Hendra,
      Unfortunately it’s impossible to save files into this directory so that they are visible on your portal. While uploading files to the portal, some information is saved to the data bases.