Access Rights Management within the Documents Module

Documents moduleIn this post I’ll continue the topic of Access Rights Management we discussed last time, but today I’ll consider the Documents module from this point of view.

The Documents module of TeamLab platform represents a place where all the files of an organization can be stored, viewed*, created*, edited*, shared, be it a text document, spreadsheet, image file or presentation.

* Note: if you use the current open source or AMI version, where TeamLab Online Editor is not available, you can't view, create, and edit documents right on your portal. To do that, you need to download files to your computer right-clicking them and selecting the Download Document option.

The module includes four folders:

• My Documents is a private storage space. Each portal member has My Documents folder where the user can upload or create documents for personal use only.
  • Shared with Me folder contains documents that have been shared with you by other users.
  • Shared Documents is a common storage space containing files and folders available to all portal members.
  • Trash is a folder where all your deleted files are stored and can be restored or removed later.

Permission Settings windowEntering the Documents module, you automatically get into the My Documents folder. Here you can create*, edit*, upload, and store files that no one can access (even portal administrators). But if you wish to grant some permissions to a certain portal member for a document, you need to set access rights for it. To do that,

1. Select the needed file in the list checking its box

2. Click the Access link at the top

3. In the opened Permission Settings window, you’ll see two tabs – Users and Groups:

• stay on the Users tab if you want to grant access rights to certain portal members
  • switch to the Groups tab if you want to grant access rights to a certain group (e.g. department if all portal members are grouped into departments)

4. Select a user or a group in the drop-down list at the bottom of the window

5. Click the Add User or Add Group button

6. All the added users or groups will appear in the Permission Settings window. Next to each added user or group you’ll see the Read Only link. That is the default permission. You can change it clicking the link and selecting one of the following options:

• Read Only – the user or group will be able only to view the document
  • Full Access – the user or group will be able to view and edit the document
  • Deny Access – this option is used to block access previously granted to the user or group

7. Finally, click the Save button.

After you proceeded through these steps, the document will appear in the Shared with Me folder of the selected user or group of users.

Watch this video on how to grant permissions to a certain user or group.

Move to optionIf you wish to share a document from the My Documents folder, i.e. to grant full access rights to all portal members, the only thing you need to do is to move the document to the Shared Documents folder. To do that,

1. Find the needed file in the My Documents folder,
2. Direct the mouse cursor to the box next to it and click the appeared black arrow,
3. Select the Move to option from the list,
4. In the next list, select the Shared Documents folder.

After that your document will be moved to the Shared Documents folder and can be viewed by all portal members.

Note: only portal administrators have the right to perform this operation. Being a portal user, you can move your documents to a certain folder situated within the Shared Documents folder if you have full access rights for this certain folder.

That’s all for it. For further instructions, please visit our Help Center. If you have any questions or ideas, feel free to write an email to our Support Team or leave your feedback for TeamLab here.

1. October 4, 2011 at 11:23 pm

This is a great feature in TeamLab. I haven’t tried this out yet but I will in a few minutes.

My friends are using Google docs for office needs but I’ll let them try this out. This might turn out well as you have a bit more functions to offer.

• Elena - Reply
      October 5, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Hello Amelia,
      Thank you very much for your loyalty and expanding our customer base! :)

2. David - Reply
    October 10, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Could you please consider adding similar functionality to Documents under Projects module.

That would really made it great.

• Elena - Reply
      October 11, 2011 at 9:41 am

Hello David,
      Thank you for your feedback! We have already received several requests concerning access rights functionality in the Documents section within the Projects module. Such functionality already exists in Documents, but implicitly: the project manager has full access to all the project-related documents, project team members can create and view documents, the team member who created a document can edit and delete it. At the moment our developers are considering the possibility of making the access rights functionality explicit.

• Roger Powley - Reply
        November 22, 2011 at 7:47 am

We are using the Project Document tab to collect and store documents. I didn’t want the project team to inadvertently place documents in the main dashboard area, so I turned off the Documents Product but left the Project/Documents tab on in the Products and Modules setting.

When I did this the project team members could upload and download project documents, but could not preview or edit project documents online. When you clicked on a document to edit it or preview it, the community dashboard opened.

How do I overcome this issue. I want to minimize the places that team members can upload documents.

Thanks, Roger

• Elena - Reply
          November 23, 2011 at 8:27 am

Hello Roger,
          Thank you very much for your message! We’ll correct it in the next version of the Documents module that is planned for mid-December.

3. Alexander - Reply
    April 11, 2012 at 10:34 am

Hi, How can I share Documents within the specific Project?

I’ve created a document in Project Documents, but team members cannot edit it. Thanks in advance.

• Elena - Reply
      April 12, 2012 at 9:22 am

Hello Alexander,
      In the current version, you can share your files and set access rights for them within the ‘Documents’ module only. In the ‘Documents’ section of the ‘Projects’ module, the project manager has full access to all the project-related documents, project team members can create and view documents, the team member who created a document can edit and delete it. But please don’t give way to despair, we plan to add this functionality in one of the next releases.

• Alexander - Reply
        April 12, 2012 at 10:33 am

Thank you for the reply. Frankly speaking I really enjoy your product. Do you have a suggestion mechanism? I’d like to share some features “nice to have” in future releases. For instance, I’d like to have permissions on the project basis: So I’ve 2 teams, and I’d like to prevent members of one team to see all users of the 2nd team or the to make them see only the members of their team instead of all user. Is it possible? Thanks in advance.

• Elena - Reply
          April 13, 2012 at 9:39 am

Alexander,
          As for a suggestion mechanism, every TeamLab user can share his ideas on a special feedback page where all customers’ opinions are collected. Here they can also vote for other users’ ideas and track their fulfillment. You can be sure that every feedback is checked out there!
          As for permissions on the project basis, within the ‘Projects’ module you can create so-called private projects and grant permissions to your project team members. None of the other portal users will be able to access such projects and their content (except for portal administrators). You can find further information in this blog post. I hope it will help you. Good luck! :)

4. Gopal Chechani - Reply
    October 9, 2014 at 11:07 am

we want no body save personal document in my document

Gopal Chechani